City Resources


Water Payment and Service

Payment for water service must be made to the City of Lincoln. Payments can be made in three ways: (1) pay online, (2) set up an automatic bill payment or (3) pay by mailing a check, dropping it off at an dropbox or stopping in their office.

Frozen Pipes

Pipes may freeze when outdoor temperatures are very cold. If you are renting your home, you should contact your landlord about frozen pipes. If you own your home, you should contact a licensed master plumber.

Water Leaks

Service line leaks, faucet leaks, or toilet leaks can result in a higher water bill. It is recommended to contact a plumber if you think you may have a leak.

Electric - Lincoln Electric Service

This is not a city service but you will need to contact Lincoln Electric Service to start service or transfer service to your name.

Gas - Black Hills Energy

This is not a city service but you will need to contact Black Hills Energy to start service or transfer service to your name.

Yard Waste

All Lincoln landlords must supply trash service for renters. They may also offer recycling. Homeowners will need to contract with a private garbage service.


Recycling is good for the environment. Recycling saves energy, reduces pollution, and saves natural resources.

Home Improvements - Permits

If you rent, talk to your landlord. To build or make home improvements, you may need a permit.

Emergency Services

Call 911

If you need immediate help from police, the fire department or an ambulance, call 911. Tell them the address and problem. Answer the questions they will ask you.

Illness or injury

1) Is it life threatening? 2) Could moving the person cause further injury?


If you see a crime or it is happening now, call 911. Tell them the address and the problem. Answer the questions they will ask you.

If the crime is not dangerous or is not happening now, call 402-441-6000.


Report fires immediately, call 911. Tell them the address and the problem. Answer the questions they will ask you. Move to a safe place.

Car Accidents

If there is injury or severe damage, call 911. Tell them the address and the problem. Answer the questions they will ask you. Move to a safe place.


Driver's License

A driver's license is required to drive a vehicle in the state of Nebraska. To receive a driver's license, you must prepare for a written exam. You can study for this exam by using the Nebraska Driver's Handbook and by taking practice exams online. You will then go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to take your test. On this day, be prepared to pay any applicable fees, take a vision test, and provide proof of identity featuring your full name and date of birth and two documents showing your principal address.

Automobile Registration (includes wheel tax)

All vehicles used in Nebraska must be registered. If you are registering for the first time, you must present the Lancaster County Treasurer with 1) Proof of Insurance, 2) Proof that sales or excise tax has been paid, and 3) A copy of the signed lease agreement (if vehicle is leased).

Proof of Insurance

Proof of Financial Responsibility, or Proof of Insurance, is required for all motor vehicles and must be carried in the vehicle at all times.You must purchase insurance through a private company.

Seat Belts and Child Safety Seats

Drivers and front seat passengers must wear seat belts. Children up to age 6 must be in an approved child safety seat.

No Alcohol

Alcohol, drugs, and driving do not mix. It is illegal to drive if you have been drinking. It is illegal to have an open alcoholic beverage in your car.


Never merge. The right of way is observed at the yield sign. Motorists already in the roundabout have the right of way. You must slow down or stop to yield to traffic approaching from the left. Wait for a gap in traffic, then carefully proceed into the roundabout. You will turn to the right.

Be a Good Neighbor

  • Trim tree branches and shrubbery - this reduces maintenance costs and improves personal safety.
  • Remove seasonal decorations within 60 days of the holiday.
  • Know where your property line is before building a fence. Check with the city for proper fence height.
  • Report and remove graffiti immediately.
  • Remove snow from sidewalks by 9 AM of the morning following a snow storm. Keep sidewalks clear of snow and ice.
  • Mow your lawn regularly. Do not park your vehicle on lawns or public sidewalks.
  • License all dogs with the city. Keep your dog from roaming or barking excessively.
  • House numbers should be visible for emergency personnel to see. It is recommended that they are at least 3 inches.
  • Trampolines should be located in the backyard away from the street and enclosed.
  • Make sure that trash containers have lids. Store them out of view of the street.
  • Respect your neighbors. Do not cause disturbances with loud music or noise.