InterLinc Home Page
City of Lincoln
City of Lincoln
Mayor's Office

2017 Media Releases

February 21, 2017
For More Information Contact:
Ben Higgins, Watershed Management, 402-441-7589

Second Open House Set for 56th and Morton Drainage Improvement Project

The public is invited to the second open house on a stormwater drainage improvement project in the area east of 56th Street and north of Cornhusker Hwy. The meeting is from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, February 28 at Vital Services, 6400 Cornhusker Hwy, Suite 250. The public may park in the south lot and enter through the east door of the main entrance. No formal presentations are planned.

The 56th and Morton area experiences frequent flooding even during regular storm events. The drainage improvements, one of the City's 2016 stormwater bond projects, seek to reduce future flood risk and property damage for the area. Planned improvements include widening the channel, replacing the box culvert at Fletcher Avenue and rehabilitating the banks to prevent future erosion.

The project is 75 percent funded through a Federal Emergency Management Agency hazard mitigation grant. The City and Lower Platte South Natural Resources District are sharing the cost of the remaining 25 percent, with the City's funds coming from the 2016 stormwater bond. Construction is tentatively scheduled to start fall 2017.

Those attending the open house will have the opportunity to learn more about the project, review the draft improvement design and provide comments to help refine the next stage of design. City representatives and project consultants will be available to discuss the public's ideas and answer questions.

For more information, visit, or contact Ben Higgins, Watershed Management, at 402-441-7589 or

Mayor's Office
Media Releases