City of Lincoln
2014 Media Releases
- August 22, 2014
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 402-441-7831
- Scott Opfer, Public Works and Utilities, 402-441-7711
- Wayne Mixdorf, City Parking Manager, 402-441-PARK (7275)
Capital City Ready for Game-Day Traffic
Mayor Chris Beutler said Lincoln is ready to welcome Husker football fans with new entertainment and parking options downtown and in the West Haymarket area. The first of the Huskers' seven home games starts at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, August 30 against Florida Atlantic.
Pinnacle Bank Arena will host free watch parties for the first home game and for the game against Miami September 20. Other special events include the Haymarket Farmers Market August 30 and September 6 and activities at the Railyard, which will host the Nebraska Alumni Association Football Friday program from 4:30 to 7 p.m. the day before games. The Cube will show football games all day on Saturdays.
Several new parking garages are open this year south of Pinnacle Bank Arena - Red 1, 555 "R" Street; Blue 3, 535 "P" Street; and Lumberworks, 700 "N" Street. The Green 2 garage, 530 "P" Street, is expected to be open by the second home game. Pre-paid parking in these and other City garages can be reserved through parkandgo.org. Limited parking will be available for $25 in the VIP Parking Garage attached to the southwest side of Pinnacle Bank Arena.
To beat game day traffic and parking challenges, City officials recommend visiting lincoln.ne.gov for maps and street construction information, arriving early, celebrating downtown after games and using these City services:
- Travel to and from games on StarTran's Big Red Express.
- Purchase a $10 tag for all-day, on-street parking in metered stalls from any City parking employee wearing a Park & Go shirt at City-operated parking facilities.
The renovation of "P" Street downtown in nearly completed. All "P" Street walking areas and streets will be open. Other downtown streets and sidewalks will be closed due to other projects and events:
- The area of the Haymarket Farmers Market will close from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 30 and Sept. 6. North 7th and 8th streets as well as Canopy Street will close from "P" to "Q" streets.
- The development south of the Gold's building has closed lanes and sidewalks from 10th to 11th streets and "M" to "N" streets.
- The renovation of Nebraska's Centennial Mall will result in some lane closures at the intersection with "N" Street.
Fans will be subject to towing if they park on job sites or driving lanes on streets or in unfinished areas.
Parking meters are enforced Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.. The following fine system is in effect:
- If the ticket is paid online within seven days from when it is written, the fine is $9.
- If the ticket is paid in person or through the mail within seven days, the fine is $10.
- If the ticket is paid after seven days, the fine is $25 in person or by mail or $24 online.
Vehicles towed by order of the Police or a Parking Control Officer are subject to a $50 towing fine in addition to the $49.53 required to get a vehicle out of the impoundment lot. The towing fine does not apply to cars towed from private lots.
On football game days, Interstate 80 exits at I-180/Downtown and 27th Street can be very congested, so visitors are encouraged to use other routes into Lincoln:
- From the east, take the Hwy. 6/Cornhusker Hwy. exit (409). Turn south at State Fair Park Drive and west on Salt Creek Roadway to reach Memorial Stadium, the Champion's Club and parking facilities east of the stadium and in the Haymarket.
- From the west, use exit I-80 at Homestead Expressway/Hwy. 77 South, then go east on Rosa Parks Way.
- Those using I-80 who plan to park in the Haymarket Park lots will experience less congestion if they enter Lincoln using the airport exit (399).
- The I-80 westbound on ramp from Highway 6/West "O" Street has been permanently closed. Motorists should use the N.W. 46th Street interchange.
Other traffic reminders:
- Stadium Drive west of the stadium will be closed to all vehicular traffic. Passenger drop-off and pick-up will not be allowed in front of the stadium before or after the game. Fans can be dropped off and picked up at 10th and Charleston streets and 12th and "R" streets.
- Only StarTran buses and those using UNL lots 12, 22 and 23 or handicapped parking will be allowed west of 16th Street on Vine.
- Charter buses will park on "W" Street between 14th and 16th streets.
- Downtown bike lanes are on 14th Street from "L" to "R" streets and on 11th Street from "Q" to "K" streets. Bike UNL is offering free bike valet service for all home games. Cyclists can drop off their bikes on the east side of Cook Pavilion near 14th and "W" streets two hours prior to kickoff. For more information, visit bike.unl.edu/bikevalet or call 402-472-4777.
Other general reminders:
- Alcohol is prohibited on City streets, parking lots, garages and sidewalks including the trail between Haymarket Park and 8th Street.
- The sale of tickets, souvenirs or other items is not allowed on City streets or sidewalks. Officers will issue citations for violations that inhibit the use of the street or sidewalk.
- Lock your vehicle and put valuable items out of sight to prevent theft.
- Backpacks and umbrellas are not allowed in Memorial Stadium.
Big Red Express
In addition to its regular routes, StarTran will provide its Big Red Express service on Husker game days starting two hours before kickoff from six locations:
- The City Municipal Service Center (I-80 airport exit #399), N.W. 12th and West Bond streets (take first right north of McDonald's)
- Southeast Community College, 88th and "O" streets, south parking lot
- Holmes Lake, 70th Street and Normal, north end of lake
- Gateway Mall, 61st and "O" streets, north of JC Penney's
- SouthPointe Pavilions, 27th and Pine Lake Road, south of Von Maur
- North Star High School (I-80 airport exit #403), 5801 N. 33rd St. (six blocks east of 27th Street and Folkways Blvd.)
Buses will drop off on and depart from "R" Street between 12th to 14th streets. The cost is $5 each way, and passengers will need exact change. Electronic signs will help direct fans to the Big Red Express locations. Big Red Express season tickets, good for round-trip travel for all home games, are available for $50, a $20 savings, at StarTran, 710 "J" Street; the SouthPointe Pavilions office; or at the lots on game day. For more information, call 402-476-1234 or visit startran.lincoln.ne.gov.
The City recommends reserving reduced-price, pre-paid, event parking through parkandgo.org. Football parking locations and fees are:
- City-County, 10th and "K" streets - $15 on site and $10 online
- South City-County, 701 S. 10th St. and West City-County, 802 "J" St. - $15 on site and $10 online
- Carriage Park, 1120 "L" St. and Cornhusker Square, 1220 "L" St., and Center Park, 1100 "N" St. - $20 on site, $15 online
- Haymarket, 9th and "Q" streets; Lincoln Station South, 7th and "P" streets; Market Place, 10th and "Q" streets; Que Place, 1111 "Q" St.; Red 1, 555 "R" St.; Green 2, 530 "P" Street; Blue 3, 535 "P" St.; University Square, 101 N. 14th St.; Larson Building, 1317 "Q" streets; West Depot Lot, 676 "O" St.; Lumberworks, 700 "N" St. - $25 on site, $20 online
- Sun Valley and Charleston St. Lot (near Oak Lake Park) vehicle parking - $10 on site and online; RV parking - $50 on site and $45 online
- "N" Street Gravel Lot, "N" Street and Arena Drive - $25 on site only; RV parking - $70 on site and $65 online.
Grills are not allowed in City garages. Additional parking is available at the 12th and "Y" lot and the 14th and New Hampshire lot for $10 per vehicle and $20 per RV (game-day purchase only). Grills are allowed at these locations and at the Sun Valley and Charleston lot. RV parking may be purchased online. Fans planning to stay Friday night on City property must purchase their parking online and display the permit in their RV overnight. RV parking is not allowed at the Haymarket Park baseball/softball complex.
The festival space parking north of the Arena is available for tailgating at $40 for vehicles and $140 for RVs. A season tailgating pass is $275 for vehicles and $1,000 for RVs. Parking only is $20 per game. Fans can walk to Memorial Stadium over the Bereuter Pedestrian Bridge south of centerfield at Haymarket Park. Fans can use the pedestrian bridge from the festival space to the Arena for access to the West Haymarket. For more information on the festival space, contact Nikki Devor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A number of private lots are available. Rates vary, and some offer season passes. Vehicles blocking drives, parked too close to the intersection, parked on public right of way or interfering with vehicle or pedestrian traffic will be towed.
UNL parking lots will be available for use six hours prior to kick off. Game-day parking information and maps are available at http://parking.unl.edu/ (keyword: football). Parking is available at the following University areas for $10, $15 and $20 day of game:
- 17th and "R" garage - $20 day of game, $120 season
- 19th and Vine Street garage - $20 day of game, $120 season
- 1150 N. 14th St. (Harper Schramm Smith Food Service) - $20 day of game
- 15th and Vine streets - $20
- 1410 "Q" St. - $20
- 16th and "X" streets - $20
- Anderson Hall, 16th St. between "P" and "Q" streets - $20
- Beadle Center, 19th St. north of "S" St. - $20
- 900 North 22nd St. - $15
- 22nd and Vine streets - $15
- 23rd and "W" streets - $15
- 1700 "Y" St - $15
- 14th and Court streets - $10
- 16th and Court streets - $10
- 14th Street Military Avenue - $10
Wheelchair accessible parking is available for $20 per vehicle at UNL Lot 5, Stadium Drive and Salt Creek Roadway. Handicapped parking is available at:
- Mabel Lee Hall (vans only) - $20
- 14th and R streets - $20
- 14th and Avery garage - $20, with free cart shuttle
- 14th and "U" streets, east of Morrill Hall - $20
- 14th St. between Vine and "W" streets, free on-street parking where available
- 17th and "R" garage - $20 with bus service to east and west stadium