InterLinc Home Page
city of lincoln  
City of Lincoln
Mayor's Office

2008 Media Releases

May 27, 2008
For More Information Contact:
Steve Schwab, Parks and Recreation, 441-7035
Karla Welding, Solid Waste Operations, 441-7867


As residents clean up from recent storms, the City is reminding residents of how to properly dispose fallen trees and branches. Different guidelines exist for trees on public property and those on private property.

Residents who have safety concerns about any fallen tree or branch should call the Lincoln Police non-emergency number at 441-6000. Residents who have downed utility lines or tree limbs resting on utility lines should contact the Lincoln Electric System at 888-365-2412.

Public trees are those that are in the public rights of way, generally between the sidewalk and the curb. Residents are encouraged to contact Community Forestry at 441-7035 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays to report damage to street trees. (Residents who have structural damage from a street tree should call the Lincoln Police non-emergency number at 441-6000.)

The Lincoln Parks and Recreation Department is asking Lincoln residents to help clear fallen limbs from street trees on public rights of way. Small branches and limbs can be left for pick up by refuse haulers on the normal day of garbage service. For large limbs from public trees, Community Forestry staff will leave logs in the right of way next to the sidewalk, and these can be picked up by residents to use as firewood.

Parks and Recreation Director Lynn Johnson said the Community Forestry handles nearly 2,500 calls a year regarding broken or fallen tree limbs. He said the assistance of the public can help the Department reduce fuel consumption and equipment operating costs.

All trees not on the public rights of way are the responsibility of the property owner. Waste haulers differ on requirements and collection fees for disposal of branches. In general:

  • Smaller trees, brush and branches (under four inches in diameter) from public or private property can be cut into lengths of four-feet or less, secured and left for pickup by refuse haulers. Haulers may charge additional fees for branch collection.
  • Large trees and branches (more than four inches in diameter) on private property can be cut up and removed by a licensed tree arborist or taken by the homeowner for disposal.

Fees are charged at the two City disposal sites:

  • 5101 North 48th Street (about one-half mile north of N. 48th and Superior streets): This site is for those using small vehicles (one ton and less) and trailers (60 sq. feet and less). Loads must be tied and/or tarped to avoid additional fees.
  • 6001 Bluff Road (one mile north of Interstate 80 and Highway 77): This site is for those using larger vehicles or trailers as well as any landscaping, lawn care, handyman or property management businesses. Fees are charged based on vehicles size. Loads must be tied and/or tarped or the load will be refused access.

These sites are open weekdays from 6:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.; Saturdays from 6:45 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and Sundays from 6:45 a.m. to noon. For more information, call 441-8102 or 441-8104 or see the City Web site, (keyword: landfill).

Tree debris also can be taken to Hofeling Enterprises, 2200 S. Folsom Ct. (438-8733), from 8 a.m to 5 p.m. weekdays. The charge is $10 per pickup load.

Low-income elderly and disabled residents who need help with debris removal can contact Kerry Dean at Lancaster County Juvenile Drug Court, 441-3858. All volunteers who are part of this program are supervised.

Yard waste (leaves, grass clipping) cannot be thrown away with regular trash. For information on yard waste disposal, see (keyword: yard waste).

Mayor's Office    Media Releases