Ballot Question – April 9, 2019
Shall the City Council of Lincoln, Nebraska increase the local sales and use tax rate by an additional one quarter of one percent (¼%) upon the same transactions within such municipality on which the State of Nebraska is authorized to impose a tax for a period of six years, for street rehabilitation, reconstruction, and new construction under the following terms and conditions?
- The sales tax revenue generated by the additional one quarter of one percent (¼%) shall be used for:
- street rehabilitation and reconstruction of existing neighborhood and arterial streets, in all quadrants of the City, to maximize their useful life;
- improvements to existing streets, in all quadrants of the City, to enhance safety, streamline traffic flow, or promote private sector investment;
- not less than Twenty-Five percent (25%) of the revenues generated by the increase in sales tax described herein shall be reserved for construction of new non-residential streets to promote private sector investment.
- None of the revenues from the additional quarter of one percent sales tax shall be spent on sidewalks, trails, traffic signals, bike lanes, or other non-paving projects. The revenues from the additional quarter of one percent sales tax shall not be used to support or pay back any city issued bonds.
- The street projects funded by the additional quarter of one percent sales tax shall be determined by the City's Capital Improvement Program with the guidance of a citizen oversight committee appointed by the Mayor to ensure that these tax revenues are spent fairly, efficiently, effectively, and in all quadrants of the City.
- The Transportation and Utilities Department shall provide to the citizen oversight committee, the City Council, and the Mayor an annual report on projects funded by the increased sales tax for each year that the increased sales tax is in effect for the purposes set forth herein.
- 33rd and Cornhusker Interlocal Agreement. Not less than 1.5% of the revenues generated from the sales tax rate increase described herein shall be used to fund the City's share of an interlocal agreement between the City of Lincoln and the City of Lincoln Lancaster County Railroad Transportation Safety District for engineering services for the 33rd and Cornhusker Safety Improvement Project, which is intended to promote the long-term development of unified governance of such project.
- The increased sales and use tax rate will be implemented and related revenues collected beginning on October 1, 2019 and continue for a period of six years.
- If a majority of the votes cast upon such question shall be in favor of such tax, then the City Council shall be empowered as provided by Neb. Rev. Stat. section 77-27,142 and shall forthwith proceed to impose a tax pursuant to the Local Option Revenue Act.
- If a majority of those voting on the question shall be opposed to such tax, then the City Council shall not impose such a tax.
VOTE FOR OR AGAINST
- I vote for authorizing the increase in city sales tax for the specified street improvement purposes.
- I vote against authorizing the increase in city sales tax for the specified street improvement purposes.