Injury Prevention & Safe Kids
Hours and Location
- Office Hours
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- 3131 O St, 2nd Floor, Lincoln, Nebraska 68510
Please call for more information.
Approximately 25,000 to 26,000 Lancaster County residents each year receive treatment in Lincoln emergency departments for an unintentional injury, the leading cause of death for Lancaster County residents 1-44 years of age. The Injury Prevention Program monitors injury levels in our community and mobilizes resources to address leading causes of injury.
Prevention activities from our program include:
- Monthly child car seat inspections
- Child Care Transportation Training for licensed childcare providers who transport children
- Bike and pedestrian safety resources to schools and community groups
- Home safety education to childcare providers, physicians, and human service agencies to share with the families they serve
- Education to volunteer youth sports coaches on concussion and other sports injury prevention
- Swimming pool safety education for residents who have or use “backyard” pools or spas
- Fire prevention information for owners/managers of multi-unit residential housing
Our program accomplishes these and other injury prevention efforts by working with businesses, civic groups, faith-based organizations, and other City Departments in a coordinated manner which maximizes our combined resources.
Safe Kids Lincoln-Lancaster County was chartered in 1995. Its mission is to prevent the number one killer of children 14 years of age and younger - accidental injury. Coalition Task Forces address priority injury areas including: child passenger safety, child pedestrian and bicycle safety, sports injury prevention, fire and burn prevention, water safety, and home safety.